An Interview With Fotis Georgiadis
Strong communication and collaboration skills: The VR, AR, and MR industries are highly collaborative, so being able to communicate effectively and work well with others is essential. This may involve working with team members from various disciplines, such as designers, developers, and artists, to bring a project to life.
The Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality & Mixed Reality Industries are so exciting. What is coming around the corner? How will these improve our lives? What are the concerns we should keep an eye out for? Aside from entertainment, how can VR or AR help work for other parts of life? To address this, we had the pleasure of interviewing Gianfranco Lopane.
Gianfranco Lopane is the President of Smarterver, Inc., and serves as Head of Business Development in charge of the team responsible for revenue growth enablement within DatChat’s Social Network+, Metaverse, NFT, and blockchain initiatives. In his 20 years of experience, he has worked with startups as well as Fortune-500 companies like Nestle, Hertz, and XPO Logistics in different senior-level positions.
Back in 2017 he started his career in the blockchain space and co-founded an advertising network company for the metaverse and by 2018 he founded Generiqo, the company that is currently helping dozens of companies to migrate to the blockchain space. In 2014 Gianfranco obtained his Master’s degree in Commerce and Marketing (MCom) from EUDE Business School in Madrid, Spain.
Thank you so much for doing this with us! Has a particular book, film, or podcast significantly impacted you?
I have read many books, but the critical three are Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, and Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan. All three novels feature complex, multi-layered plots that involve action, adventure, and philosophical explorations of the nature of virtual worlds and the human experience.
Is there a particular story that inspired you to pursue a career in the X Reality industry? We’d love to hear it.
Back in 2017 was the boom of the ICOs in the crypto industry, and I was an investor in many of these technologies, and one day talking with one of my friends, we thought, “How about with run ads in AR, VR, and MR for big companies?” He and I, both marketers, wanted to combine our knowledge with our passion. The continuation of the story is in the following questions.
Can you share a story about your funniest mistake when you first started? Can you tell us what lesson you learned from that?
My friend and I created a company, actually one of the first companies created in Wyoming under the new crypto law, to be able to raise money to start building the technology to launch it in an ICO. We worked countless hours, and we spent money on our project. We couldn’t even raise a penny just because I was pitching the company like I was talking with developers instead of regular people who didn’t know the “Metaverse” back in the day. I learned to be plain and simple in my speech and, most importantly, to educate before moving forward in communication.
We need some help to achieve success along the way. Is there a particular person you are grateful to who helped get you to where you are? Can you share a story about that?
Darin Myman, without knowing each other, we shared the same idea to make a significant impact in the Metaverse, and when we met, it was a perfect match. With his help and support along this Metaverse journey, we have gone so far together, and this is just the beginning.
Can you share the most exciting story that happened to you since you began this fascinating career?
I could interoperate between all the decentralized metaverses running ads across all the Metaverse with just a click of a button, our proprietary Dynamic NFT DRM technology. Because of this achievement, we noticed that there is almost no one there, and we decided to create our Metaverse called Habytat Smarterverse, making it simple, fun, and accessible for everyone in a near photorealistic world where everybody is part of it, owning land and a house for free.
Are you working on any exciting new projects now? How do you think that will help people?
Habytat Smarterverse is making the Metaverse simple, fun, and accessible to all, providing a near-photorealistic world where you will own an essential part. Habytat will be full of shops, galleries, entertainment, games, pets, and other resources that will improve and change how we interact, socialize, and communicate, connecting our real lives with virtual ones. As a founder member of Habytat, you will receive premium NFT-deeded land and a house to call your own for free. For more information, visit http://smarterverse.com.
Ok super. Thank you for all that. Let’s now shift to the main focus of our interview. The VR, AR, and MR industries seem so exciting right now. What are the three things that excite you about the industry? Can you explain or give an example?
Some of the key benefits of these technologies include their ability to provide immersive experiences, enhance our perception of the world around us, and facilitate remote communication and collaboration.
For example, VR headsets can allow users to experience fully immersive virtual environments, allowing them to “visit” places and engage in activities that would be impossible in the real world. This can be especially useful for training, simulation, education, and entertainment. AR technology can enhance the real world by overlaying digital information and visuals onto our view of the world, providing helpful information and enhancing our ability to interact with our environment. This can be useful in various gaming, retail, and industrial applications. MR combines the best of both VR and AR, allowing users to interact with virtual objects in the real world and enhance their perception of the world around them. This can be particularly useful for tasks requiring a high spatial awareness, such as manufacturing and design. Overall, the VR, AR, and MR industries offer many potential benefits and will continue to evolve and develop in the coming years.
What three things concern you about the VR, AR, and MR industries? Can you explain? What can be done to address those concerns?
There are several potential concerns associated with the virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), and mixed reality (MR) industries. Some key issues to consider include the potential for addiction and adverse effects on mental health, the potential for misuse and abuse of the technology, and the potential for privacy and security breaches.
For example, VR, AR, and MR technologies can be highly immersive and engaging, which can be a double-edged sword. While this immersion can be beneficial for specific applications, such as training and education, it can also lead to addiction and adverse effects on mental health if not used responsibly. Additionally, the ability of these technologies to enhance and alter our perception of the world raises concerns about their potential misuse and abuse. For example, VR, AR, and MR technologies could be used to create false or misleading experiences, which could have negative consequences.
Some potential solutions include implementing responsible design practices, promoting education and awareness about these technologies’ potential risks and benefits, and establishing regulations and standards to ensure their safe and ethical use.
For example, the designers and developers of VR, AR, and MR technologies can prioritize the health and well-being of users in their design decisions. This can include features that encourage responsible use, such as setting limits on usage time, providing warnings about potential health effects, and allowing users to customize their experiences to reduce the potential for adverse effects. Additionally, promoting education and awareness about these technologies’ potential risks and benefits can help users make informed decisions about their use and seek help if needed.
The entertainment aspects of VR, AR, and MR are apparent. Can you share with our readers how these industries can help us at work?
These technologies can enhance training and simulation, improve collaboration and communication, and provide new ways of engaging with customers and clients.
For example, VR headsets can create immersive training simulations that allow workers to practice and hone their skills in a realistic but safe environment. This can be particularly useful for jobs that require complex tasks or dangerous situations, such as surgery or firefighting. AR technology can provide workers with real-time information and instructions, allowing them to access information quickly and easily without switching between multiple screens or devices. This can be useful for tasks requiring a high spatial awareness, such as manufacturing and assembly. MR technology can create mixed-reality environments where workers can collaborate and interact with virtual objects and information in the real world. This can be useful for tasks that require a high level of collaboration, such as design and engineering. Overall, the entertainment potential of VR, AR, and MR technologies can be harnessed to improve efficiency and productivity at work.
Are there other ways VR, AR, and MR can improve our lives? Can you explain?
- Some potential ways in which VR, AR, and MR could improve our lives include:
It provides new and immersive ways to learn and experience new things. VR, AR, and MR technologies can create interactive and engaging educational experiences that allow users to learn in a hands-on and immersive way. This can be especially useful for subjects that are difficult to teach in a traditional classroom setting, such as history, science, and art.
- We are enhancing our ability to communicate and collaborate with others. VR, AR, and MR technologies can provide new ways of interacting with others, allowing us to communicate and collaborate in real time, even when physically distant. This can be useful for remote work, education, and social interactions.
- They are improving accessibility and independence for people with disabilities. VR, AR, and MR technologies can provide new ways for people with disabilities to engage with the world around them. For example, VR headsets can provide people with visual impairments with audio-based navigation and orientation. In contrast, AR technology can provide real-time text-to-speech translation for people with hearing impairments.
- We are improving our ability to access and interact with information. VR, AR, and MR technologies can provide new ways of accessing and interacting with data, allowing us to quickly and easily find and use the information we need. For example, AR technology can provide helpful information and context in real-time, allowing us to quickly and easily understand our surroundings and make decisions.
Overall, the potential benefits of VR, AR, and MR technologies are vast and varied. As these technologies continue to evolve and develop, they have the potential to improve our lives in many different ways significantly.
What “ myths “ would you like to dispel about working in your industry? Can you explain what you mean?
- VR is only for gaming: While VR is undoubtedly a popular platform for gaming, it has many other applications, such as education, training, therapy, and even journalism.
- AR is just a gimmick: While AR may have started as a novelty, it has many practical applications in fields such as medicine, manufacturing, and retail.
- MR is the same as VR: While MR shares some similarities with VR, it is a different technology that combines elements of the natural and virtual worlds.
- VR is unrealistic: Despite the improvements in VR technology, it may not always feel fully realistic, but it is still a natural experience. However, many VR experiences are designed to be highly immersive and can provide a sense of presence in the virtual world.
- AR and MR require special equipment: While some AR and MR experiences may require specialized hardware, such as headsets or smart glasses, many can be experienced using a smartphone or tablet.
What are your “5 Things You Need To Create A Highly Successful Career In The VR, AR or MR Industries?”
- A strong understanding of the technologies; to create a successful career in the VR, AR, or MR industries, it is essential to have a deep understanding of the technologies and how they work. This may involve studying computer science, engineering, or a related field and staying up-to-date on the latest developments in the industry.
Creativity and problem-solving skills: The VR, AR, and MR industries are all about creating new and innovative solutions, so being able to think creatively and solve problems is essential. This may involve developing novel ideas for applications or experiences or finding creative solutions to technical challenges.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills: The VR, AR, and MR industries are highly collaborative, so being able to communicate effectively and work well with others is essential. This may involve working with team members from various disciplines, such as designers, developers, and artists, to bring a project to life.
- A portfolio of work: To be successful in the VR, AR, or MR industries, it is essential to have a portfolio of work to show potential employers or clients. This can include examples of projects you have worked on, demos of applications or experiences you have created, or any other relevant work that showcases your skills and abilities.
- A willingness to learn and adapt: The VR, AR, and MR industries are constantly evolving, so being willing to learn and adapt to new technologies and techniques is crucial. This may involve staying up-to-date on the latest trends and developments in the industry and being open to new ideas and approaches.
You are a person of great influence. If you could inspire a movement that would bring the most amount of good to the most amount of people, what would that be? You never know what your idea can trigger. 🙂
I will call it quality education for all.
Access to quality education is essential for individuals’ and communities’ overall development and well-being. It provides individuals with the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in life and helps to create a more just and equitable society.
One way technology, specifically virtual reality (VR), can enhance the education experience is by providing immersive and interactive learning opportunities. VR can transport students to different locations and periods, allowing them to experience and learn about new concepts more engagingly and interactively.
In addition to enhancing the learning experience, VR technology can also make education more accessible to all. For students who may not have the resources or opportunity to visit specific locations or experience certain events physically, VR can provide an alternative way to learn and engage with the world.
We are very blessed that very prominent leaders read this column. Is there a person in the world or the US with whom you would like to have a private breakfast or lunch, and why? He or she might see this if we tag them 🙂
Elon Musk, he’s a guy that thinks outside the box, and he seems funny.
Thank you so much for these excellent stories and insights. We wish you continued success on your great work!
Makers of The Metaverse: Gianfranco Lopane On The Future Of The VR, AR & Mixed Reality Industries was originally published in Authority Magazine on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.